The Board compiles and report vacant sections, if any exist. These vacant sections (Vacancy List) will be available to all teachers who are not below the redundancy line. Teachers on Recall List (redundant teachers) DO NOT partake in these Placement Meetings
About the two Placement Meetings
A series of two (2) placement meetings of the Joint Secondary Staffing Review Committee shall occur beginning the third week of May and ending the first week of June.
Three working days prior to each placement meeting, vacant sections shall be posted on the Employer’s website. Vacant sections are available to all teachers in the Bargaining Unit (except those on the Recall List), including teachers wishing to transfer schools, part-time teachers wishing to increase their teaching time (increase entitlement), teachers on the SLOA List, or teachers on a leave of absence.
Teachers shall be advised of their placement on the day following the placement meeting.
- Although vacancies may be a "package" containing different sections, any member is allowed to "unpackage" any of these vacancies and express interest in separate sections.
- CAUTION: You will not have the option to refuse a job placement should the employer reach your name. That is, if you applied to sections, it is because you are ready/willing to accept these sections.
- If you are, for example, currently assigned 3 contract teaching sections and apply to transfer to 2 contract teaching sections, you will NOT lose 1 section of entitlement if you are the successful candidate, but rather be placed on SLOA for 1 section.
- If you are requesting Mutual Consent, you must ensure you complete that portion of the application form correctly.
First and Second Placement Meeting
At both placement meetings, the Joint Secondary Staffing Review Committee shall, by order of seniority, place teachers into posted updated vacant sections for which they have expressed interest:
a) provided the teacher is qualified or deemed qualified in accordance with 21.03 above, for the assignment; and/or
b) provided mutual consent has been granted to teachers on SLOA List or to part-time teachers wishing to increase their entitlement.
1. How do I Transfer?
Be aware of the dates of the 2 placement meetings. When the vacant sections are made available for each of these placement meetings, complete the application forms that will show the sections you are interested in. You need to be qualified or deemed qualified for the sections you wish to transfer into. Please note that your "home school" for staffing purposes is the last school you are assigned to in the school year.
2. I am a part-time teacher. How do I Increase my teaching time?
Be aware of the dates of the 2 placement meetings. When the vacant sections are made available for each of these placement meetings, complete the appropriate forms that will show the sections you are interested in. You need to be qualified or deemed qualified, or could request mutual consent for the sections you wish to increase your time into.
3. I am a teacher who is on the SLOA List. Can I apply to vacant sections?
YES. Be aware of the dates of the 2 placement meetings. When the vacant sections are made available for each of these placement meetings, complete the appropriate forms that will show the sections you are interested in. You need to be qualified or deemed qualified, or could request mutual consent for the sections you wish to acquire.
4. Must the number of sections I apply to be equal to my entitlement?
Transfers: If you are a full-time teacher and fully staffed, you can, for example, apply to 3 sections designated in semester 2. Should you get these 3 sections, this school becomes your "home school" for the subsequent staffing process. If, for example, you apply and get 2 sections in semester 2, you will be placed on SLOA for the other section.
SLOA: You can, for example, apply to fewer sections than you are on the SLOA List for. Should you get these sections, the amount you remain on the SLOA List will be adjusted.
5. Will the Vacancy List change between the 2 placement meetings?
YES. If there are transfers after the first placement meeting, new vacancies will have been created by these transfers. Also, vacancies may also arise from retirements, resignations, and /or leaves of absence.
6. What happens if I am still on the SLOA List after the 2 placement meetings?
If, after the 2 placement meetings a teacher remains on the SLOA List, they will have a right to partake in the Displacement Process.