The intent is to support innovative activities designed to improve the delivery of educational programs and services to Secondary School students through the promotion of school based activities (ie. guest speakers from outside the UCDSB) outside of conventional program initiatives (ie. staff meetings, the purchase of school equipment, etc.).
Up to two teachers from each school can choose to use their allocated money from the SPDF (2 x $650 = $1300 max per school) for use in this category. Although teachers in individual schools may apply for funding, teachers from different schools are encouraged to pool their funds and jointly offer professional development opportunities to their staffs (see examples below).
REMEMBER that a teacher applying for this funding support cannot apply for PD funds in another category. No occasional teacher costs are covered in this category.
- Teacher A can bring in a guest speaker from Toronto to the school and receive up to $650 if approved
- Teacher B can organize a wellness activity outside of the school and receive up to $650 if approved
- Teacher A & B can organize a presentation for the whole staff and receive up to $1300 if approved
- Teacher A from one school and teacher C from another school can organize a workshop and receive up to $1300 if approved
- Teacher A & B from one school and teacher C & D from another school can organize a workshop and receive up to $2600 if approved
Provincial OSSTF Speaker Data Bank: This Speaker Data Bank may be used as a resource by a school (or group of schools) who are planning a school based activity. Many of these presenters are OSSTF members and have participated in OSSTF professional development programs and workshops.
Process & Procedures
1. Pre-approval of funding support using the SBA Application form is required to guarantee financial support from the SPDF. Non pre-approved applications will be dated upon receipt at the District Office and forwarded to the committee for review. Financial support of eligible applications shall be approved provided unallocated funds remain in the SPDF for the semester in which the activities occurred. Should such funds no longer remain, the application may be considered in June for any surplus funds.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED
NO LATER THAN THE END OF THE FIRST WEEK IN APRIL
2. The activity must be approved both by any local Branch Representative(s) and the Principal(s). The SPDF committee will meet on predetermined dates to review the applications. Approval and funding notification will be communicated to you at your worksite by the start of the next week.
3. It is expected that other sources of funding also be accessed in order to provide this activity.
4. Email completed application for Funding Innovative School Based Activities to the District Office (firstname.lastname@example.org). The funding reimbursement will be processed as quickly as possible and sent directly to your school. KEEP COPIES OF ALL FORMS AND RECEIPTS.
5. After the event, submit BY BOARD COURIER, the original SPDF application form and the Secondary Professional Development Expense Claim Form with original receipts: OSSTF District Office, Kemptville, ON.
A maximum of $1300 (2 x $650) may be allotted per event per school. All SPD funds are allotted on a first-come first-serve basis from the budgeted amount.
KEEP COPIES OF ALL FORMS and RECEIPTS.